The name “aloe vera” is widely used in the field of components of health and wellness products. There are almost 300 different species of this medicinal plant, which is highly regarded for its many benefits to the human body. It is even considered to be a miracle solution for various ailments. How can this be explained? Can aloe vera make you lose weight? Let’s take a closer look at the exceptional qualities of this multi-faceted plant!
What is aloe vera?
Aloe vera is a perennial and fat plant of the lily family (bulbous plants). In the wild, it grows in the hot climates of North Africa, Southern Europe, and the Canary Islands. Today, aloe is cultivated all over the world where the humidity level is high. Indeed, this small shrub stores water in its long, fleshy and toothed leaves.
From the center of the shoot, there is an inflorescence of abundant yellow, tube-shaped flowers. After five years, the plant reaches a height of about one meter. This is the ideal time to take its leaves for use in the manufacture of slimming and moisturizing remedies and cosmetics.
The essential element on the plant is this thick, colorless pulp in its leaves, where a bitter gel is formed, composed of both water and several nutrients. This precious gel is full of important medicinal virtues useful for taking care of your physical and bodily health.
Known as the “plant of miracles”, aloe vera produces many active components, including minerals, enzymes, vitamins, amino acids, etc.
What does aloe vera contain?
The shrub is 99% water enriched with the bioactive compounds mentioned above. This remarkable plant, which has been the subject of several scientific studies (1), essentially produces two substances very different in appearance, composition, and therapeutic properties:
- Aloe Latex: Also known as sap, aloe latex is a yellow-brown, bitter exudate found in the tiny walls of the plant’s bark. It contains nearly 40% anthracoid, including aloin, which is a molecule with powerful laxative effects. Aloe latex in its raw state is an irritating substance for the skin and mucous membranes.
- The aloe gel: housed in the heart of the large leaves of the plant, the gel consists of a clear mucilage with emollient properties (which soften the tissues). It is widely used in cosmetology and dermatology.
What are the virtues of aloe vera?
Several curative effects of the plant have been supported by clinical trials (2).
The application of an aloe vera-based cream after exposure to UV rays can relieve sunburn and heal small wounds. On the skin, the gel acts as an anti-inflammatory and a soothing agent for burns and irritations. Its content of mannose-6-phosphate (a tissue repair molecule) allows rapid repair of skin tissue by promoting complete healing.
The antibacterial properties of the plant explain its increased use in the treatment of acne, psoriasis and eczema-type skin problems. Aloe gel enjoys an excellent reputation for its dermatological virtues. Through the synergy of its antifungal elements, antioxidant molecules, carotenes, vitamins B, C, and E, this substance is proving to be a true antibiotic and natural detox. It exfoliates, nourishes and hydrates the skin.
Aloe is also counted among the plants to which anti-diabetic properties are attributed. Although its effectiveness as a hypoglycemic substance is not established, it is recommended that aloe juice be used in treatments that modify blood glucose levels. However, moderate use of aloe juice is recommended for this purpose. For more information, ask your doctor for advice.
Moreover, this same juice is an excellent way to keep your liver healthy. It is moisturizing and rich in phytonutrients. In other words, it is composed of most of the vitamins, minerals and amino acids present in the plant. More specifically, these are iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium, and vitamins B, C, B12.
This explains its great usefulness in strengthening the immune system and intestinal flora, soothe digestive problems and boost the body in general.
The different forms of consumption of aloe vera
- The juice: it is obtained after pressing the fresh leaves of the plant. To detoxify your organism, it is recommended to take it fresh, pure or diluted in fruit juice. You can find it on the Internet or in health food shops. When buying, check the quality of the product and prefer organic products.
- The gel: it is collected by cutting the leaves longitudinally. The mucilaginous pulp inside must then be scraped off. This is what gives the product a denser texture after extraction and cold stabilization. There are certain slimming treatments based on a gel made from aloe vera pulp to help slim or refine localized areas of the body.
- Capsules: the gel can be consumed as a dietary supplement, in the form of an aloe vera capsule for example, or applied directly to the skin in the form of creams, lotions, poultices, etc.
Can aloe vera help me lose weight?
From a nutritional point of view, the aloe plant is full of several assets including active ingredients often mentioned in a weight loss diet. The famous juice of aloe vera, mainly known for its purifying virtues, makes it one of the drinks best indicated for a detox cure. Indeed, the aloe vera cure is an excellent way to naturally purify your body. This is due to aloin, an active substance contained in the plant that cleanses the body of all its toxins. After a period of excess, this juice is the ideal drink to rid your intestines of all waste.
It is also effective for burning fat. Indeed, aloe is rich in phytosterols, substances that participate in the elimination of fatty tissue around vital organs. These organic substances also act to reduce and control blood sugar levels. Thanks to this double action of phytosterols, you will be able to reduce your body mass and lose weight effectively.
Also, aloę vera is a natural laxative (3). If you have poor digestion of food or if your digestive system is slow and does not normally absorb all the nutrients, aloe juice will help optimize your metabolism and fight to bloat. So aloe vera should help your digestive system work better.
All in all, the aloę vera plant is beneficial in all its existing forms. It helps to detoxify your body and boost your body to help it lose weight effectively. However, it is still important to consult with your doctor or a nutrition specialist before turning to a cure for the “miracle plant”. Aloe vera does not directly promote weight loss but, by purifying your body it can help in weight loss.