There is no miracle intervention to prevent the development of an APT.
Given the influence of image and culture on body perception, especially in adolescence, several factors can help children feel good about themselves, in order to prevent them from developing certain physical complexes8:
- Encourage, from an early age, the adoption of a healthy and diversified diet
- Avoid giving the child a weight concern, especially by refraining from following strict diets in his or her presence.
- Make the meal a friendly and family moment
- Supervise Internet surfing, with many sites promoting anorexia or giving “tips” for losing weight
- Promote self-esteem, strengthen the positive image of the body, compliment the child….
- Consult a doctor at the slightest doubt about the child’s eating behaviour.